Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shrunken loyalty

I love my dog, and I am pretty sure my dog loves me. Or at least she has the dog equivalent of love for me. She likes to cuddle with me, and she chooses me over other people when other people are around.

She is a typical dog, she loves playing with other dogs, and chasing squirrels, and she loves killing bugs if she sees one. So the question is, if I got shrunk down to an inch tall, "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" style, would my adorable little doggy love me and help me, or would she try and eat me?

I don't know on which side of the question I come down on. I think I would still have the same smell if I was minuscule, and smell is such an important sense for a dog, I know she would remember it, but would her millions of years of evolution and thousands of years of selective breeding be able to be overcome by a sense of loyalty to my smell? My suspicion is that she would not recognize tiny me, and would try and kill and eat me.

I have been pondering this idea for the last couple of days. I saw a cartoon that had some sort of shrinking machine, and that made me wonder. I know it is a silly thing to think about, but I have been thinking about the dog's reaction, looking at it from all directions, and I think it is beginning to have a slight effect on how I view my relationship with my furry little companion. Even though she has no sentient thoughts in her adorable cuddly head, I can't help but feel a little betrayed by her. It is like the time when she was a puppy and she climbed on the couch looked straight at me and started peeing. I know she has no sense of malice, but I couldn't help but feel hurt by that action. This time she has hurt my feelings without even doing anything (thankfully there isn't any sort of clean up needed this time except emotionally). The fact that she is a dog, and the fact that shrinking is impossible (and impossible for her to even comprehend) do little to alleviate the damage I have done by getting this dumb idea stuck in my head.

I think I may have to cut back on watching Phineas and Ferb cartoons for a time while my relationship with the dog heals from this perceived slight.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home