Sunday, April 22, 2012

Some Lame Ramblings about eyeglasses

I need a new pair of glasses. Well, I actually don't need a new pair of glasses, but I have had the same prescription for almost two years, and the same frame for around a year. A year is a long time to star at the same stupid pair of glasses. I happen to really like my current glasses so I am not just going to settle for the first thing the girl at the optician shows me.

Eyeglass retailers are a kind of interesting bunch. They are ostensibly selling a medical device, but they combine the medical aspects of their business with fashion and then add in a moderately cute 20 year old girl behind the counter to say flattering things to you to make you buy something from the limited selection the store carries.

Maybe it is because I am getting old, or maybe I had so much success with the clear sunglasses experiment last year, but these glasses store tactics no longer seem to have an effect on me. I went to three eyeglasses stores over the weekend, and I didn't find a pair of glasses that match what I am looking for, and fit my head correctly. I have heard the phrase "yeah, that looks really good on you" from a girl more times this weekend than I ever have in the rest of my life. Now some of these frames did look pretty good on me, but they weren't what I was looking for, and others looked so bad that as the salesgirls kept a straight face while they lied to me made want to give them an oscar. I heard the hard sell from them, but it did not sway me.

I thanked these salespeople for their time and walked out of the stores with my old frames intact on my face. I am going to hit some other stores this week, and I know I can find what I am looking for. Sometimes the early bird catches the worm, and sometimes the bird that digs until he finds what he is looking for gets the better worm.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home